Compliance and Legal Lead - Europe
The role & work environment entails keeping BitPesa´s business safe and be compliant with local and international regulations, while keeping a focus on the easiness and transparency for the customer (internal and external).
- The main focus of expertise will be on the implementation of cross bank regulations and relations which impact several stakeholders.
- Regulatory contacts and reporting: Oversight on and ensuring regulatory compliance of BitPesa, reporting to and contacts with the Regulators.
- Lead implementation of a financial crime, program and monitor compliance.
- Review internal policies and procedures to ensure appropriate measures are in place to ensure compliance with Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Countering Terrorist Financing (CFT), and Know Your Customer (KYC) in UK and European jurisdictions related to BTC Africa SA operations
- Contribute to annual revisions, as necessary, of BTC Africa SA’s AML Policy and implementing procedures
- Identify and investigate suspicious customer activity within the UK & European regions of operations and prepare reports on same.
- Conduct an annual risk assessment relating to financial crime and incorporate conclusions into current policies and requirements. This to include leading an annual update to the Prevention of Money laundering and Terrorist Financing Manual (AML Manual) gaining sign-off from MLRO and Executive.
- Agree with managements remediation plans for all incidence of non-compliance with policy/procedure and follow up implementation on a timely basis, escalating to Head of Department and relevant Executive Director as necessary.
- Prepare regular reports on the outputs of the Compliance program to the Executive team summarizing key issues, results, conclusions and actions taken.
- Prepare and maintain the Organization’s country risk profile that assesses potential territorial exposures to money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Advise on the development and maintenance of, and signing-off where appropriate, fighting financial crime procedures.
- Legal Research & Opinion Generation.
- Liaise & maintain relationship/correspondences with External Solicitors, External Accountants & Vendors.
- Assisting with the preparation, review and interpretation of Legal documents, including: commercial contracts, and Forms.
- File Management and maintenance of Corporate Filings Dash-Board.
- Assisting in Preparing, Organizing and Scheduling of Statutory Meetings (AGMs, Board Meeting), including: Notices, Proxies and Minutes of meeting.
- Other duties ancillary to the duties above or as may be reasonable requested by the Manager.
- Experience managing complex regulatory environments of innovative financial products across UK and/or Europe
- Experience working with international, distributed team across UK, Europe and Africa
- Flexibility, ability to work independently, and strong problem-solving capability to enable navigation of fast-moving ecosystem and fast-growing young company
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree is Law is preferable
- Minimum of 6 Years’ experience in Financial Services Industry or Money Service Business
- Shortlisted Candidates must be willing to provide a minimum of two references
- This position has a competitive salary